Jan
2014

I didn’t realize I had a fear of anesthesia until my veterinarian explained that my dog had stage 3 dental disease and needed a dental cleaning under anesthesia. As I learned, pets, unlike humans, won’t consciously tolerate a thorough examination of the full mouth; the only way a veterinarian can do the examination, cleaning, and any necessary extractions is to put the pet under anesthesia. The anesthesia, together with post-procedure pain medications, also minimizes the pain involved with cleaning and extractions. Thinking about how scared my dog would be as strangers poked around in her mouth, and also knowing much pain toothaches can cause, I quickly understood the need for the examination and cleaning under anesthesia.

But as we discussed the procedure, I felt nervous. I didn’t like the idea of my pet being anesthetized. What if she never woke up? When I started researching it, I discovered that many people are afraid of going under anesthesia themselves. According to “Psychiatric Issues in Surgical Patients” in Primary Psychiatry, about one-third of patients have a fear of anesthesia distinct from their fear of the surgery itself. I decided to look into how safe anesthesia really is for pets.

According to Richard M. Bednarski, DVM, MSc, DACVAA, a board-certified veterinary anesthesiologist, “The most recent statistics indicate that the death rate related to anesthesia [in pets] is approximately one anesthetic-related death for every 1,000 anesthetized.” But, he says, “The dog or cat with a significant pre-existing disease, such as chronic heart or lung disease, is at an increased but acceptable risk, while the death rate for relatively healthy dogs and cats is less than this average.”

It turns out there are things pet owners can do to not only relieve their fears of anesthesia but also help ensure the safety of their beloved animals. Says Dr. Bednarski, “Every pet owner should feel free to discuss their pets’ anesthetic risk with their veterinarian at the time oral care requiring general anesthesia is required.” There are several questions veterinary clients can ask of their veterinarian.

Dr. Bednarski elaborates, “I would want to know that my pet’s anesthetic plan begins with a physical and laboratory examination appropriate for my individual pet. I would be certain that during the procedure my pet is intubated (breathing tube inserted through the mouth into the wind pipe) to protect his lungs from blood and fluids present in the mouth and also for delivery of supplemental oxygen. I would like to know that heart and lung function are monitored frequently and regularly by a trained and experienced person familiar with the effects and side effects of the anesthetic drugs used. I would also like to know that emergency drugs in doses appropriate for my pet are readily available. Finally, I would like to know how any post-procedure pain will be treated.”

He also says, “The older or sicker my pet, the more laboratory tests will be needed to ensure safer handling. I would expect my veterinarian to suggest addressing and possibly treating any significant health concerns prior to anesthetizing.”

Laurie Miller, RVT, CVT, CVPM, a practice consultant with the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), concurs, recommending the following questions:

• Does the practice require blood work prior to the anesthetic event, and if so how far in advance?
  • Will my pet have an IV catheter and fluids during the procedure?
  • Is there someone dedicated to monitoring my pet while he is under anesthesia? Who is that person, and are they credentialed, or what training do they have with anesthesia?
  • What type of monitoring devices are used during my pet’s anesthetic event?
  • While my pet recovers, what is the process for observing and monitoring her?

AAHA also has standards for AAHA accreditation, some of which are mandatory, regarding anesthesia. As Laurie Miller says, “AAHA does take anesthesia very seriously, and as such, the points [systems in place] to achieve AAHA accreditation… requires a practice to have a good anesthetic plan and processes in place.”

Both Dr. Bednarski and Laurie Miller state that anesthesia will never be completely free of risks. But Dr. Bednarski says, “Modern anesthesia, which I define as an anesthetic plan customized for each individual that takes into account each animal’s… health risks, is very safe.”

Knowing that, along with the questions I can ask my veterinarian about anesthesia, helps to relieve my concerns. I would rather accept the minor risks of anesthesia than leave my dog to suffer silently from tooth decay or other oral diseases or problems.

Comments (13) -

Lost A Pet to anesthesia
Lost A Pet to anesthesiaUnited States
1/16/2014 6:09:49 AM #

Unfortunately, not all practices actually monitor the anesthesia and post recovery.  Certainly not all "AAHA" hospitals do that either once they achieve credentialing.  Dentals do save lives, but anesthesia is still very risky.

Cindy Hartz DVM
Cindy Hartz DVMUnited States
1/26/2014 8:36:46 AM #

Excellent article and good questions to ask.  Anesthesia should always be taken very seriously.  It should be noted that NOT anesthetizing and allowing for significant periodontal disease has it's own risk.  That risk must be weighed against the risk of general anesthesia, which can be decreased significantly by addressing the questions mentioned in the article.

Dogmom
DogmomUnited States
1/31/2014 8:26:09 AM #

I, too, lost a dog to being anesthetized. The vet poked the breathing tube through her trachea and didn't realize it. None of them could figure out why she was gasping for air after her surgery. This went on for a week, until we finally took her to a specialty pet ER, where they found the problem. They told us they couldn't fix it, and she died soon after, at one year of age. So, yeah, I don't put my girls under anesthesia unless it's critical. Funny thing is, I've been under a few times myself and not worried at all. Good article, thanks!

Pam Hermes
Pam HermesUnited States
2/1/2014 5:58:25 PM #

My dog went in for a hematoma of the ear & since he was going to be put under, I decided to have his teeth cleaned. BIG mistake. He never came out of it. Just turned 6 (healthy) & they told me "some animals can't tolerate it as well as others. It devastated me to no end, but the ear had to be taken care of, so I didn't think twice about having it done.

Glenn
GlennUnited States
2/4/2014 6:23:42 PM #

If you don't want to have your dog's teeth cleaned, then stop giving them soft food, such as canned dog food. Start giving your dog crunchy dry dog food, and crunchy dog biscuits. My twelve year old Golden Retriever has been on Paul Newman's organic dry dog food since she was six months, because she has a wheat allergy, and I also give her crunchy Paul Newman's organic dog biscuits for snacks.

She loves the food, and we still take our 1/2 mile walk everyday.

Every time we go to the vet, he comments on how good her teeth look, and they have never been cleaned. The last time we say him, he said, "This dog has a good looking set of teeth".

Hope that helps.
Glenn

Darryl Touchet
Darryl TouchetUnited States
6/4/2015 3:59:40 PM #

My dog died yesterday from her cleaning. She was vibrant and alive before she went in. Don't do it.

lamecia cameron
lamecia cameronUnited States
6/16/2015 2:21:04 AM #

My mom told me yesterday my sisters yorkie died after having his teeth cleaned at petsmart six weeks ago. That little guy grew on me. He was a hyper little thing. I'll miss him.

K Moody
K MoodyUnited States
10/18/2015 6:12:23 PM #

Our 10 yr old yorkie passed during a routine teeth cleaning August 5 2015...because Yorkies are prone to teeth issues we had his teeth cleaned twice a yr until he reach 8...an older dog we just didn't want to put him thru it twice a yr..needless to say we should have said screw it literally..He was extremely well taken care of and the cleaning wasn't really needed but we wanted to stay on top of things. ..he made about 2 mins into surgery and passed. .he had all of the proper blood work from our long standing vet..they "think" he may have had a blood clot in his lung that was not detectable. ..Needless to say I completely regret having this done!  It's been almost 3 mths and we are still heartbroken and feel was failed our beloved dog!!

Laurel
LaurelUnited States
11/25/2015 11:16:01 AM #

Really excellent article! If anyone is considering having their dog put under, write these questions down and bring them with you to the vet- and get thorough answers! I was really hesitant recently when my 14 yr old dog needed extractions.  I feel fortunate that I have a vet I really trust.  He did a lot of blood work on my dog prior to the extractions which was absolutely necessary for any older dog. The accesses & bad teeth were causing him a lot of pain & discomfort- he'd rub his head on his bed after eating with his eyes clenched shut- I felt so bad for him and really wanted him to be comfortable & without pain.

Paul R. Gagnon
Paul R. GagnonUnited States
12/6/2015 10:22:21 AM #

I had my beloved 14 month old dog in for an emergency to extract porcupine quills in July 2015.  She never woke up from the anesthesia!  Unbelievable?  It happened.  Breeder assured me my dog had no pre-existing health conditions. Sinking feeling every time I think of her, daily. She was my best friend and companion. Not looking for sympathy, just noting caution before trusting.

Jodi
JodiUnited States
1/15/2016 1:25:43 PM #

First I want to say, I'm so sorry,for all of you who have lost your pets...especially to a "routine" dental cleaning.  This is exactly why I'm scared to take my little Lily to have hers done....the anesthesia scares me.  She is perfectly healthy otherwise (besides the OTHER health concern that Bichons have--skin allergies), but her teeth are bad...I got her at a city pound as an adult dog (approximately age 3), and I'm sure no one ever took care of her teeth or brushed them.  I've brushed them with her a couple times, but it is very hard to get into her mouth to do this, and also the vet told me it will "do no good" at this point, that the tartar buildup is too much for a brush.  They want me to have her teeth cleaned and even pull one or two....she has lost one tooth on her own, already, I believe, but has shown no signs of pain or discomfort and still has a hearty appetite.......I am very very hesitant to have her "put under" for a teeth cleaning...If she shows any signs of pain, discomfort, acting strange, change in mood, or loss of appetite at all, she WILL go in and have it done, but....for now, I'm just very scared. I can't be without my baby.

Pamela Nichols DVM
Pamela Nichols DVMUnited States
2/11/2016 1:33:35 PM #

Hey there Jodi.  Find out from your veterinarian if they do everything suggested in the article.  Tell them your concerns and then ask the veterinarian what their opinion is. The fact is that pets do not show significant signs of pain.  They do not stop eating due to dental pain, they do not even seem to chew gingerly.  If your dog has Grade 2,3 or 4 periodontal disease, it is worth the anesthetic risk to clean her teeth and extract the bad ones.  Chronic pain ages pets.  Chronic infection in the mouth can lead to kidney disease and heart disease.  Be cautious, but do not let your pup go without much needed care.

Jennifer Russell
Jennifer RussellUnited States
3/14/2016 8:10:43 PM #

I just lost a second cat from having teeth cleaning leading to a fatal disease. The first one developed hyperthyroidism within weeks after procedure. She had all blood work needed that all came back OK. Second cat had to have 3 teeth pulled, which triggered kidney failure, she was dead within 2 months . I'm scared to death of dental procedures with my cats now. How can perfect blood work result in "instant disease" & death? There must be a better way! I'm now on a mission to find a way to keep my cats teeth clean to avoid death! It's next to impossible to brush their teeth. There must be some way to keep the "dirt "from building up or dissolving any that's already there. I'm sick of having a dental procedure killing my cat by this triggering of other diseases!

Pingbacks and trackbacks (1)+

Sign-up for our PetsMatter Newsletter

AAHA-Accredited Veterinary Hospital Locator

The Standard of Veterinary Excellence ®
American Animal Hospital Association | Copyright © 2016 | Privacy Statement | Contact Us