Resources for veterinary teams
Use this convenient, customizable template to quickly create discharge instructions for your diabetic patients.
These resources are made possible with support from Boehringer Ingelheim.
The Freestyle Libre glucose monitor is an invaluable tool for monitoring glycemic control in diabetic dogs and cats. These two videos will teach your veterinarian how to place the devices in diabetic patients and how to generate and interpret Freestyle Libre reports.
- How to attach the Freestyle Libre Glucose Monitor in dogs and cats
- Generating and interpreting reports with the Freestyle
Anesthesia is not contraindicated in stable diabetic dogs and cats. Increase your confidence in anesthetizing these patients by incorporating these ideas in your practice.
Quickly review examples of and treatment suggestions for:
- Optimal canine/feline glucose curves
- Persistent hyperglycemia
- Short duration of action of insulin
- Hypoglycemia-induced hyperglycemia (Somogyi)
Client Education Resources
Empower your veterinary team to educate your clients on key components of diabetes treatment using these resources.
State-by-state regulations on insulin needle disposal
Manufacturer training videos
How to administer Prozinc insulin with a syringe
How to administer Vetsulin with an insulin pen
AAHA insulin administration videos
Watch actual pet owners giving insulin to their pets at home!
Home monitoring resources
Care for diabetic pets extends out of the hospital and into their home. Equip caregivers with tools they can use to monitor their pet and communicate results with your veterinary team.
This diary allows caregivers to collect important information to help guide their veterinarian’s treatment decisions for their diabetic pet. It can be printed out or filled in electronically.
Educational videos - Diabetes testing at home
Encourage caregivers to watch these videos so they can gather important information on their pets’ diabetes at home.
Home monitoring mobile apps
Using mobile devices, pet owners can track their diabetic pet’s response to treatment as well as other useful parameters.
Pet diabetes tracker:
ProZinc in Dogs
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of protamine zinc recombinant human insulin in healthy dogs
- Freedom of information survey - Supplemental new animal drug application
- Client information sheet for dogs ProZinc® (protamine zinc recombinant human insulin)
- Package insert for dogs ProZinc® (protamine zinc recombinant human insulin)
- Assessment of once daily dosing with ProZinc® Insulin in diabetic Beagle dogs
- Field efficacy and safety of protamine zinc recombinant human insulin in 276 dogs with diabetes mellitus
Email [email protected] with suggestions for additional resources.