Check out a summary of the 2022 Pain Management Guidelines -
in a fun format to share with your team
AAHA Pain Management Guidelines Toolkit
Download the AAHA Pain Management Guidelines Toolkit to help your team do what only they can do: bring the guidelines to life in your practice.
Pet Owner: How to Be Your Pet’s Pain Advocate
Learn the signs of pain and ways to pain proof your home
Are you a pet pain brain? Take our quiz to find out!
Both acute and chronic pain show up differently in pets than they do in people, and even the most loving pet owner can miss subtle signs of pain. The veterinarians on your team aren’t the only ones who can help: every member of the veterinary team can help pain be detected earlier and managed better. Asking the right questions makes a big difference—and so does the approach we take in the exam room.
Take our quiz with your teammates to see how your pain perception measures up.
Resources from Zoetis
- The New Science of Osteoarthritis (OA) Pain: thenewscienceofoapain.com
- Anti-NGF mAb Offers Promising Novel Therapy for Osteoarthritis (OA): PromisingNovelTherapy.com
- Canine Osteoarthritis (OA) Pain: canineoapain.com
- Canine Osteoarthritis (OA) Pain Checklist – interactive, digital: dogoachecklist.com
- Feline Canine Osteoarthritis (OA) Pain: catoapain.com
- Technical Bulletin: Feline Osteoarthritis, a Common and Painful Disease: Diagnosis, Treatment, New Resources and Future Options: catoapain.com
- Feline Osteoarthritis (OA) Screening Tools: felineoascreening.com
- Feline Osteoarthritis (OA) Pain Checklist – interactive, digital: catoachecklist.com
Feline and canine acute pain scales from Colorado State University
Resources from Elanco
Including COAST (Canine OsteoArthritis Staging Tool) and the University of Liverpool’s LOAD questionnaire for canine patients
Feline Grimace Scale assessment tool and app for acute pain in cats
Flow Diagram for Acute and Chronic Pain Assessment in Cats (Figure 1)
Flow Diagram for Acute and Chronic Pain Assessment in Dogs (Figure 2)
Decision Tree for Prioritizing Pain Management Therapies (Figure 3)