a Clomicalm; Novartis Animal Health US, Inc., Greensboro, NC
b Anipryl; Zoetis, Inc., Florham Park, NJ
c Dexdomitor; Zoetis, Inc., Florham Park, NJ
d Antisedan; Zoetis, Inc., Florham Park, NJ
e Cerenia; Zoetis, Inc., Florham Park, NJ
- Salman MD, Hutchison J, Ruch-Gallie R, et al. Behavioral reasons for relinquishment of dogs and cats to 12 shelters. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2000;3(2):93–106.
- Shore ER, Peterse CL, Douglas DK. Moving as a reason for pet relinquishment: a closer look. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2003;6(1):39–52.
- Marston LC, Bennett PC, Coleman GJ. What happens to shelter dogs? Part 2. Comparing three Melbourne welfare shelters for non-human animals. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2005;8(1):25–45.
- Shore ER. Returning a recently adopted companion animal: adopters’ reasons for and reactions to the failed adoption experience. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2005;8(3):187–98.
- Casey RA, Vandenbussche S, Bradshaw JWS, et al. Reasons for relinquishment and return of domestic cats (Felis silvestris catus) to rescue shelters in the UK. Anthrozoo¨s 2009;22(4):347–58.
- Roshier, AL, McBride, EA. Canine behaviour problems: discussions between veterinarians and dog owners during annual booster consultations. Vet Rec 2013;179(9):235.
- Roshier, AL, McBride, EA. Veterinarians’ perception of behaviour support in small animal practice. Vet Rec 2013;172(10):267.
- Strickler BL, Shull EA. Returning a recently adopted companion animal: adopters’ reasons for and reactions to the failed adoption experience. J Vet Behav 2014;9(5):207–14.
- Godbout M, Palestrini C, Beauchamp G, et al. Puppy behavior at the veterinary clinic: a pilot study. J Vet Behav 2007;2(4):126–35.
- Godbout M, Frank D. Persistence of puppy behaviors and signs of anxiety during adulthood. J Vet Behav 2011;6(1):92.
- Mariti C, Gazzano A, Moore JL, et al. Perception of dogs’ stress by their owners. J Vet Behav 2012;7(4):213–9.
- Scarlett JM, Salman MD, New J, et al. Reasons for relinquishment of companion animals in U.S. animal shelters: selected health and personal issues. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 1999;2(1):41–57.
- Vite CH, Head E. Aging in the canine and feline brain. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2014;44(6):1113–29.
- Overall KL. Manual of clinical behavioral medicine for dogs and cats. St. Louis (MO): Elsevier; 2013.
- Overall KL, Dunham AE, Frank D. Frequency of nonspecific clinical signs in dogs with separation anxiety, thunderstorm phobia, and noise phobia, alone or in combination. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2001;219(4):467– 73.
- Beerda B, Schilder MHB, Van Hooff JA, de Vries HW, et al. Behavioural, saliva cortisol and heart rate responses to different types of stimuli in dogs. Appl Anim Behav Sci 1998;58(3):365–81.
- Yin S, McCowan B. Barking in domestic dogs: context specificity and individual identification. Anim Behav 2004;68(2):343–55.
- Beerda B, Schilder MBH, van Hooff JA, et al Manifestations of chronic and acute stress in dogs. Appl Anim Behav Sci 1997;52(3):307–19.
- Overall KL. Clinical behavioral medicine for small animals. St. Louis (MO): Mosby; 1997.
- Rooney NJ, Gaines SA, Bradshaw JWS. Behavioural and glucocorticoid responses of dogs (Canis familiaris) to kenneling: investigating mitigation of stress by prior habituation. Physiol Behav 2007;92(5): 847–54.
- Rooney N, Gaines S, Hiby E. A practitioner’s guide to working dog welfare. J Vet Behav 2009;4(3):127–34.
- Tod E, Brander D, Waran N. Efficacy of dog appeasing pheromone in reducing stress and fear related behaviour in shelter dogs. Appl Anim Behav Sci 2005;93(3–4):295–308.
- De Cramer KGM, Stylianides E, van Vuuren M. Efficacy of vaccination at 4 and 6 weeks in the control of canine parvovirus. Vet Microbio 2011; 149(1–2):126–32.
- Stepita M, Bain MJ, Kass PH. Frequency of CPV infection in vaccinated puppies that attended puppy socialization classes. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2013;49:95–100.
- Zicker SC, Jewell DE, Yamka RM, et al. Evaluation of cognitive learning, memory, psychomotor, immunologic, and retinal functions in healthy puppies fed foods fortified with docosahexaenoic acid–rich fish oil from 8 to 52 weeks of age. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241(5):583–94.
- Pierantoni L, Albertini M, Pirrone F. Prevalence of owner-reported behaviours in dogs separated from the litter at two different ages. Vet Rec 2011;169(18);468.
- Salman MD, New J, Scarlett JM, et al. Human and animal factors related to relinquishment of dogs and cats in 12 selected animal shelters in the United States. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 1998;1(3):207–26.
- Brammeier S, Brennan J, Brown S, et al. Good trainers: how to identify one and why this is important to your practice of veterinary medicine. J Vet Behav 2006;1(1):47–52.
- Horwitz DF, Pike AL. Common sense behavior modification: a guide for practitioners. Vet Clin North Am Sm Anim Pract 2014;44(3):401–26.
- Schilder MB, van der Borg JA. Training dogs with help of the shock collar: short and long term behavioural effects. Appl Anim Behav Sci 2004;85(3):319–34.
- Schalke E, Stichnoth J, Ott S, et al. Clinical signs caused by the use of electric training collars on dogs in everyday life situation. Appl Anim Behav Sci 2007;105(4):369–80.
- Grohmann K, Dickomeit MJ, Schmidt MJ, et al. Severe brain damage after punitive training technique with a choke chain collar in a German shepherd dog. J Vet Behav 2013;8(3):180–4.
- Rooney NJ, Cowan S. Training methods and owner-dog interactions: links with dog behaviour and learning ability. Appl Anim Behav Sci 2011;132(3–4):169–77.
- Hiby EF, Rooney NJ, Bradshaw JWS. Dog training methods: their use, effectiveness and interaction with behavior and welfare. Anim Welfare 2004;13(1):63–9.
- Blackwell EJ, Twells C, Seawright A, et al. The relationship between training methods and the occurrence of behavior problems, as reported by owners, in a population of domestic dogs. J Vet Behav 2008;3(5): 201–17.
- Herron ME, Shofer FS, Reisner IR. Survey of the use and outcome of confrontational and non-confrontational training methods in clientowned dogs showing undesired behaviors. Appl Anim Behav Sci 2009; 117(1):47–54.
- Feuerbacher EN, Wynne CDL. Shut up and pet me! Domestic dogs (Canis lupus familiaris) prefer petting to vocal praise in concurrent and single-alternative choice procedures. Behav Processes 2015;110:47–59.
- King J, Simpson B, Overall KL, et al. Treatment of separation anxiety in dogs with clomipramine: results from a prospective, randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Appl Anim Behav Sci 2000;67(4):255–75.
- King JN, Maurer MP, Altman B, et al. Pharmacokinetics of clomipramine in dogs following single-dose and repeated-dose oral administration. Am J Vet Res 2000;61(1):80–5.
- King JN, Steffan J, Heath SE, et al. Determination of the dosage of clomipramine for the treatment of urine spraying in cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004;225(6):881–7.
- King JN, Overall KL, Appleby D, et al. Results of a follow-up investigation to a clinical trial testing the efficacy of clomipramine in the treatment of separation anxiety in dogs. Appl Anim Behav Sci 2004; 89(3–4):233–42.
- Lainesse C, Frank D, Meucci V, et al. Pharmacokinetics of clomipramine and desmethylclomipramine after single-dose intravenous and oral administrations in cats. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2006;29(4):271–8.
- Simpson BS, Landsberg GM, Reisner IR, et al. Effects of Reconcile (fluoxetine) chewable tablets plus behaviour management for canine separation anxiety. Vet Ther 2007;8(1):18–31.
- Landsberg GM, Melese P, Sherman BL, et al. Effectiveness of fluoxetine chewable tablets in the treatment of canine separation anxiety. J Vet Behav 2008;3(1):12–9.
- Carney HC, Sadek TP, Curtis TM, et al. AAFP and ISFM guidelines for diagnosing and solving house-soiling behavior in cats. J Fel Med Surg 2014;16(7):579–98.
- Crowell-Davis SL, Seibert LM, Sung W, et al. Use of clomipramine, alprazolam, and behavior modification for treatment of storm phobia in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003;222(6):744–8.
- Doring D, Roscher A, Scheipl F, et al. Fear-related behavior of dogs in veterinary practice. Vet J 2009;182(1):38–43.
- Hernander L. Factors influencing dogs’ stress level in the waiting room at a veterinary clinic. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Student report; 2008:190. Available at: http://ex-epsilon.slu.se:8080/ archive/00003006/01/huvudversion_klar_lollo.pdf.
- Roddenberry A, Renk K. Locus of control and self-efficacy: potential mediators of stress, illness, and utilization of health services in college students. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 2010;41(4):353–70.
- Rodan I, Sundahl E, Carney H, et al. AAFP and ISFM feline-friendly handling guidelines. J Feline Med Surg 2011;13(5):364–75.
- Carlstead K, Brown JL, Strawn W. Behavioral and physiological correlates of stress in laboratory cats. Appl Anim Behav Sci 1993; 38(2):143–58.
- Kuhne F, Ho¨bler JC, Struwe R. Behavioral and cardiac response by dogs to physical human-dog contact. J Vet Behav 2014;9(5):93–7.
- Yin S. Low stress handling, restraint and behavior modification of dogs and cats. (Davis, CA): CattleDog Publishing; 2009.