Pig ear treats recalled
Jones Natural Chews Co of Rockford, IL is recalling 2,705 boxes of Pig Ears dues to possible Salmonella contamination, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports.
Jones Natural Chews Pig Ears were distributed in Connecticut, Iowa, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Minessota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New Yorg, Pennsylvania,Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin. They were shipped to distributors and retailers between Sept. 15 and Nov. 2, 2010 where they were available for purchase.The following lots are being recalled:
- Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears 2pk bag with header card–item upc 741956001047 lot 2420
- Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears bulk 100ct box-box upc 741956001139 lot 2490, 2560, 2630, 2700, 2840, 2910, 2980
- Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears bulk 50 ct box-box upc 741956001504 lot 2490, 2840
- Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears bulk 25ct box-box upc 741956001467 lot 2700
- Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears 1pk shrinkwrapped-item upc 741956001146 lot 2700, 2840, 2420 Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears 10pk printed bag-item upc 741956001405 lot 2420, 2560, 2630, 2840
- Blain’s Farm & Fleet Pig Ears 10 pieces bag-item upc 741956001405 lot 2560
- Country Butcher Dog Chews Pig Ears 1pk shrinkwrapped-item upc 741956001511 lot 2630
- Country Butcher Dog Chews Pig Ears 1pk shrinkwrapped-item upc 741956001146 lot 2420
- Country Butcher Dog Chews Pig Ears 12pk bag-item upc 741956001245 lot 2910
The FDA has not received any reports of illness associated with the products.
The recall was the result of a routine sampling program by Washington State Department of Agriculture which revealed that the finished products contained the bacteria. The company has no product left in inventory from this batch of pig ears.
Consumers who have purchased any of these pig ears are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-877-481-2663.