Weekly News Roundup 3/23–3/29

Then whose cat did we bury?

A grieving family who buried what they thought were the remains of their cherished pet cat were a trifle perplexed when she turned up alive and well two days later. Willow vanished on February 26 during some of the worst winter weather to hit the United Kingdom in years. The family’s worst fears were realized when they discovered the remains of a dead cat on a busy road outside their house on March 8; they buried the cat in their garden during a touching ceremony. Two days later, Willow came home. Now the family thinks they accidentally buried another cat who had identical markings to Willow.

With a name like Smuckers, it’s got to be another dog treat recall

The J.M. Smucker Company has voluntarily recalled two different kinds of Milo’s Kitchen dog treats over concerns of potentially elevated levels of a beef thyroid hormone. It’s the second dog food recall in a month for Smuckers, which recalled multiple dog food brands in early March over fears they were contaminated by the euthanasia drug pentobarbital. In announcing the latest recalls, Smuckers said on their website, “As pet owners ourselves, we understand how much you love your dog and apologize for the concern this news may cause.” Shipments of Milo’s Kitchen Steak Grillers/Steak Grillers Recipe with Angus Steak and Milo’s Kitchen Grilled Burger Bites with Sweet Potato and Bacon are being recalled.

Tuskegee University addresses veterinary surgical practices concerns

In recent days, the surgical policies and practices employed by Tuskegee University’s College of Veterinary Medicine in Tuskegee, Alabama, have come under scrutiny by the animal-rights community after reports surfaced that the university is in the habit of purchasing dogs from local animal shelters for terminal experimentation. “Our use of animals to prepare the next generation of veterinary practitioners is endorsed by many professional and industry groups that regulate our use of animals as part of our teaching efforts,” said Ruby Perry, DVM, MS, DACVR, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine, in a statement. “These groups, as well as schools of veterinary medicine across the country, regard this type of surgical experience essential to preparing skilled, future veterinarians.”

Zoetis awards scholarships to 315 veterinary students

Over the past nine years, the Zoetis Veterinary Student Scholarship Program has awarded more than 3,000 veterinary students with more than $6.1 million in much-needed scholarship funds. A joint program between Zoetis and the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, the awards focus on helping students ease some of their student debt burdens and fostering diversity in the veterinary profession. This year, 315 lucky second- and third-year veterinary students from 33 colleges of veterinary medicine received $2,000 each toward their hefty education expenses.

Salmonella outbreak linked to pet guinea pigs

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported nine cases of Salmonella infection connected to pet guinea pigs across eight states. The illnesses, which resulted in one hospitalization, ranged from July 2015 to December 2017. “This outbreak is a reminder that pet rodents such as guinea pigs, regardless of where they are purchased or adopted, can carry Salmonella bacteria even when they look healthy and clean,” states the advisory. The CDC recommends veterinarians remind clients with pet rodents to enforce good hygiene practices, especially when young children are involved.

NEWStat Interesting/unusual