This week: Treating COVID-19 in people with a drug developed for cats, seizure-prone dogs may have tells, and London cat’s evening stroll ends with armed police and helicopter.
Veterinary practices have been busier in the past couple of weeks than many in the profession had predicted. So NEWStat took an informal sampling of AAHA-accredited practices to see what their caseloads look like at this point in the pandemic.
Yes, cats can catch it. The CDC and the USDA today announced the first confirmed cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection in two pet cats in New York state. They’re the first pets in the US to test positive for the virus.
A pet dog in North Carolina is believed to be the first dog in the US to have tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Here's why that's not necessarily bad news.
There have only been three dogs in the world who have officially tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 so far. The only one in the US has died.
Minks at fur farms in Utah have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, marking the first time the virus has been found in minks in the US.
How are animal rescue operations proceeding among the Oregon infernos?
Back in March, the first pet was diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2 in Hong Kong. What‘s the status of SARS-CoV-2 in pets now, nearly seven months later?
No one knows precisely why so many veterinary professionals died by suicide last week, but one thing does seem clear: Even with vaccines rolling out and the rate of COVID infections slowing, many people seem to be at the end of their rope.
Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association free article: Gorilla Glue contains expanding adhesives and has been documented to cause clinical signs after ingestion in the dog. The aim of this retrospective case series is to document the signalment, presentation, diagnosis, treatment, and outcome of dogs with Gorilla Glue ingestion presented to several referral hospitals.