The Companion Animal Euthanasia Training Academy
Kathleen Cooney, DVM, founder and director of education at The Companion Animal Euthanasia Training Academy (CAETA), guides learners in this course, which explores and hones the comprehensive skill set required in companion-animal euthanasia.
During the 10-module course, participants will explore topics including pre–euthanasia and anesthesia protocols, euthanasia techniques, pharmacology and physiology, caregiver considerations, challenging situations, team support, and more.
In addition to receiving a CAETA certificate of Commitment to Excellence, participants earn 10 hours of AAVSB RACE-approved CE upon completion. The course’s program number is 1279-33465.
Learn more about the course and enroll below.
At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Perform confident, gentle companion-animal euthanasia every time
- Demonstrate improved euthanasia skills and protocols
- Describe the pharmacology of euthanasia on animal physiology
- Practice pre–euthanasia anesthesia and sedation and understand their purpose
- Administer five main euthanasia techniques for achieving a gentle death
- Respond appropriately to challenging situations
- Assess case reviews by describing the situation and recommending a course of action
- Perform posteuthanasia care and memorialization
- Discuss the importance of euthanasia team support and create a team protocol
This course consists of 10 modules:
- Companion-Animal Euthanasia
- Caregiver and Pet Considerations
- Pharmacology and Physiology
- Pre–euthanasia and Anesthesia Protocols
- Euthanasia Techniques
- Challenging Situations
- Case Review
- Euthanasia Technique Training
- Useful Supplies and Materials
- Euthanasia Team Support
AAHA members: $249