Free Web Conference
Step-by-Step Anesthetic Safety
Implementing the 2020 AAHA Anesthesia and Monitoring Guidelines for Dogs and Cats
The objective of the 2020 AAHA Anesthesia and Monitoring Guidelines for Dogs and Cats is to make the anesthesia period as safe as possible while providing a practical framework for delivering anesthesia care before, during, and after procedures.
This session will guide you through the continuum of anesthesia and monitoring by reinforcing the concept that “anesthesia starts and ends at home” and is not just the time that patient is unconscious. A special focus on and templates for staff training will be included.
By the end of this free RACE-approved session, you will be able to:
- Craft individualized anesthetic protocols for your patients including:
- Which chronic medications to discontinue and which to give prior to anesthesia
- When to recommend fasting, even in complex patients like diabetics and neonates
- Using oral anxiolytics
- Troubleshoot common anesthetic complications, especially in the post-operative period.
- Increase the vigilance with which your staff monitors your patients.
- Confidently partner with pet owners in the care of their pets, before and after anesthesia.
This course is available to AAHA Members through AAHA Learning.