November 8, 2018Hospital-acquired infections are an ongoing battle for healthcare facilities in both human and veterinary medicine. New guidelines created by the...
October 23, 2018PetWell Partners , a Houston-based national veterinary practice network, has become the first organization to earn Practice Network Accreditation...
October 2, 2018The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) Board of Directors awarded the first ever AAHA Dedicated Service Award during the inaugural Connexi...
September 18, 2018Every veterinary team has been there: A patient needs life-saving care, but the owner is unable to pay for it. What’s a veterinary professional to...
September 13, 2018With the successful close of the inaugural Connexity conference, the American Animal Hospital Association welcomed three new officers and one new...
September 13, 2018Country Hills Pet Hospital has been named the 2018 AAHA-Accredited Practice of the Year by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA).
September 6, 2018When it comes to pet healthcare, a wellness plan can make the difference between a pet getting the preventive care he needs—or not getting that car...
September 5, 2018The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) is pleased to announce a new publication, developed with the support of an educational grant from...
June 20, 2018The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) is proud to announce the 2018 recipients of the AAHA Awards for Proficiency in Primary Care.
- Founded by seven leaders of the veterinary profession in 1933, AAHA has been recognized for years as a leader for the veterinary industry and profession.
- AAHA accredits small-animal hospitals throughout both the United States and Canada.
- Unlike human hospitals, accreditation is not required for veterinary hospitals.
- Nearly 60% of pet owners believe that their pet’s veterinary hospital is accredited when it is not.
- Requirements for accreditation often surpass those required by states. State regulations for veterinary hospitals vary widely—some state examiners will never inspect a veterinary practice unless a complaint is filed.
- Veterinary practices that choose to be AAHA accredited are evaluated regularly on approximately 900 standards of care.
- There are more than 3,500 AAHA-accredited hospitals in the United States and Canada.
- AAHA also accredits veterinary practices within animal shelters and humane societies. As of 2015, there were 18 accredited humane societies.
- In addition to accrediting companion-animal hospitals, AAHA also develops veterinary guidelines and position statements, publishes educational resources, and offers world-class continuing education for veterinary professionals.
- AAHA is committed to helping lost pets get back to their owners. The AAHA Universal Pet Microchip Lookup tool helps pet owners and shelters determine which microchip company a chip is registered with.
- Pet owners can find an accredited veterinary practice by looking for the red AAHA logo, and by searching AAHA’s hospital search tool online.