AAHA Con trivia #1: Who am I ?
Martha Cline, DVM, DACVIM (Nutrition)
Session 1: Tips & Tools for making weight management programs successful in clinical practice
Successful weight management of veterinary patients starts and ends with a complete nutritional assessment, diet recommendations, and follow-up.
This lecture will focus on the components of a nutritional assessment as it relates to weight management, the implementation of a weight loss program including both diet and exercise recommendations, and follow-up once a target body weight is achieved.
- Perform a complete nutrition assessment including Body Condition Score and Muscle Condition Score.
- Estimate body fat percentage and ideal body weight to help determine energy needs for weight management and target body weight.
- Communicate effectively and in a nonjudgmental way to help clients and pets succeed with weight management.
Session 2: Smart Diet Choices for Senior & Geriatric Pets
The dietary needs of our veterinary patients evolve with aging. The veterinary team can proactively address some of these changes throughout the pet’s lifespan.
This lecture will discuss a complete nutritional assessment and individualized dietary recommendations for aging pets.
- Recognize nutritional risk factors that may be more prevalent in aging populations.
- Differentiate physiologic and pathologic changes associated with aging related to nutritional status.
- Apply key nutritional factors to the nutritional recommendations of aging pets.
Session 3: Nutrition Conversation Toolbox
Communication techniques can enhance nutritional conversations in the exam room. Well-meaning pet owners can become entrenched in and confused by certain feeding practices.
This presentation will review communication skills to help make potentially contentious conversations into effective ones.
- Recognize the three aspects of communication (content, process, and perception) and apply these aspects to making a nutritional recommendation.
- Utilize open-ended questions to enhance the collection of a nutritional history.
- Recognize and acknowledge a client's perception with regards to pet nutrition before providing a nutritional recommendation.
Nerd alert: Dig deeper!
2021 AAHA Nutrition and Weight Management Guidelines
- Download the guidelines PDF
- Try the Nutrition Prescription and Weight Loss Plan Generator
- Download the Body Condition Scoring and Muscle Condition Scoring charts
Register at aaha.org/aahacon!